NOTES ON SURNAMES (HULL) 8
CLUBLEY Another name that looks like a place name, but none found. Perhaps denoting a clearing where club root grows, or where wood for making clubs can be obtained (compare the surname Staveley). This is a Holderness name. The earliest notice to date is of a William Clubley at Thwing, 1584. The name occurs regularly in the Burton Fleming parish register between 1587 and 1693. Burton Fleming and Thwing are adjacent parishes. Thomas Clubley was Mayor of Beverley in 1791. By 1840 there were Clubleys in Sculcoates parish.
Clubley’s Plantation, near Brandesburton in Holderness, must be called after the family. Unfortunately A.H.Smith does not list the name in his “Place Names of the East Riding”.