AN EAST RIDING ARMORY 3
ALFORD Gules, six pears or, 3,2 and 1, a chief of the last. Alford of Meaux, near Beverley (Wawne parish). The family obtained the abbey lands of Meaux after the dissolution of the monasteries still holding them in the mid-eighteenth century. They descended from the Alfords of Holt in North Wales.
(St. George’s Visitation of Yorkshire,1612; Poulson’s “Holderness”)